Film Africa is London’s biggest festival celebrating the best African cinema from across the continent and diaspora brought to you by the Royal African Society. Established in 2011, every year Film Africa brings diverse London audiences a high quality and wide-ranging film programme accompanied by a vibrant series of events, including director Q&As, talks and discussions; professional workshops and master classes; school screenings and family activities; and Film Africa LIVE! music nights. Film Africa also recognises and supports new film-making talent through the Baobab Award for Best Short Film and the Audience Award for Best Feature Film.
Film Africa aims to:
- Offer a platform for African and diaspora filmmakers to present their work to new audiences in London and other parts of the UK.
- Offer culturally diverse London and UK audiences with increased film choice.
- Promote a better understanding of contemporary Africa by stimulating debate around the socio-economic and political issues raised in the films screened.
- Support African filmmaking through festival awards and other opportunities and initiatives.
- Build links with other film festivals in the UK and beyond to promote the mainstreaming of African cinema in the UK and internationally.
- Create new opportunities for exhibition, distribution and networking through a range of bespoke events for filmmakers and industry professionals.